Sunday, June 30, 2013

Is It the End or Only the Beginning?

The 23 Things presented many new websites and features that I was unfamiliar with.  I really enjoyed Gliffy that allows the creation of flowcharts.  Students can use this in English as they begin to map out a paper or other writing assignments.  Brainstorming is always a good first step.  Flickr is fun to navigate.  There are so many amazing photographers out there with many beautiful shots.  Pictures hold a thousand words and are great inspiration for creative writing, which is something I would like to incorporate in my classroom.  YouTube is something that I was aware of, but its use to students and teachers cannot be overlooked.  The amount of resources available on that website is phenomenal.  Students love it, and so do teachers.

The best thing that can happen for the 23 Things is an update.  Dead links are present, and the amount of new resources and tools available on the Internet continually grows.  Therefore, removing some Things and replacing them with new tools should occur.  In order for me to stay informed on the latest in technology, I will keep my ears open to those around me.  Most everyone is ahead in technology compared to me.  If I overhear new tools, I will take it upon myself to learn more about it to remain up to date.

I would like to maintain a blog and utilize the many resources available on the Internet.  Using a blog for daily writing assignments would be an excellent way to encourage practice in writing while relating it with the technology with which the students are so familiar.  In this manner, I may even learn a thing or two from my students.  Incorporating technology is becoming more essential with each passing day.  Students will learn it, which means it is the teacher's responsibility to know it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment