Sunday, June 23, 2013

Thing #16

Customized Start Page - iGoogle



I chose iGoogle because I use Google as my primary search engine.  Since I use the cite regularly, it only makes sense for my to use it as my customized start page.  The date and time along with the weather are some gadgets I left on the page, but I removed the other standard ones that I felt were distracting and did not meet my needs.  Instead, I added two webpages that provide me a word-of-the-day, as I am one seeking to expand my vocabulary seeing as I'm wanting to teach English.  Then, I finished with a quote of the day and sports updates.  I do not think that I will make this my homepage, however.  I do not want to become too distracted when I hop onto the internet.

Online Calendar - Google Calendar

 


I do not have a lot of events to add to my online calendar at this point in my life, but I understand the usefulness one can have, especially in the busy life of a teacher.  With the use of computers and the Internet on the rise each passing year, it becomes greatly convenient to have access to a calendar of events right online.  Google Calendar is easy to use, and edits are a walk in the park.  The hectic life of a teacher can be partially remedied by the organization of an online calendar.

To Do List - Remember the Milk

 


I think to-do lists online can be useful because they can force one to put a deadline for the tasks he or she seeks to accomplish.  By putting completion dates for several jobs on different days, one does not become overwhelmed with the total amount of work but rather can concentrate on the smaller portion of tasks for just that day alone.  However, activities can have a deadline of "never," which may reinforce the idea that it will eventually become completed and procrastination takes hold.  All in all, online to-do lists can be useful if used properly, but a pen-and-paper list can be just as effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment