Monday, June 10, 2013

Thing #09

 Comic Strip Generator

 


I was expected multiple panels that can be edited when I explored the Comic Strip Generator, as one would expect from the Sunday funnies.  To my disappointment, I found single-frame pictures with speech bubbles that are still fun but does not allow for as much creative freedom as one with multiple frames.  I must say that once I saw a picture of Derek Zoolander, I knew that I had to use it.  I think that this tool would be fun for a teacher to utilize by creating lighthearted pictures for PowerPoint slides, but I do not think that I could come up of a use for students specifically.  However, multi-frame comic strips could be used for many purposes in English, for example portraying different scenes from books in a new medium.

Sign Generator 

 


Looking through the different signs, my attention was caught by the fortune cookie design.  I have received some pretty cryptic fortunes, and sometimes I question whether people take these seriously.  I decided to have a paradoxical cookie message.  The second is an attempt to be humorous.  Designing different signs is fun, but again I do not see a good classroom application for using this web tool.  It certainly would be useful for posters that concern upcoming events and purposes similar to that, but on an academic level, I fail to see the application.

Smiley Face Generator

 


Being an English major, I simply had to go for the smiley with a book in his hands.  At the same time, I just had to put a twist on the most famous of Shakespeare quotes.  I understand this dilemma quite well when the teacher assigns a less than enthralling piece of literature.  When I become a teacher, I hope to minimize the dread of having to read, but kids will be kids and will find more "important" things to do than read.  Again, this was fun, but the classroom application of this tool is nothing more than simple fun and little creativity.

3 comments:

  1. I found your comics to be humorous. I stayed away from those generators because I am not nearly that creative. I agree that these would be most useful in PowerPoint slides to keep the interest of your students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the fortune cookie. I have also wondered if people really take them serious. Like you I thought these would be good for PowerPoints. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the Zoolander comic strip. Zoolander is one of my favorite funny movies of all time. I like how you attacked the comic strip creator. I was afraid of using it because I feel like I am not very creative. I agree that making funny slides in a powerpoint is a way to keep your students engaged during a lesson.

    ReplyDelete